2011-09-26

Here is a good NYTimes article that summarizes the non-recipe content of Grocery Gaming: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/opinion/sunday/is-junk-food-really-cheaper.html?_r=1

I am tired of hearing the argument that an apple costs more than a candy bar.  Sure, a good, big apple costs a dollar, but I buy organic carrots for $0.88 /lb and a pound of dry beans or rice runs about a dollar, and cabbage is $0.79 /lb.  A 13 oz bag of chips costs over three bucks.  We don't just choose between apples and candy bars.  There are over 40,000 items in a supermarket.  We can easily and consistently have full, complex, nutritious meals for cheaper than most unhealthy alternatives, and definitely on a tight budget. 

Here is a link to fun illustration (not the original illustration page because I found it on this great cooking comic site that you should also see): http://drawnbutter.tumblr.com/post/10647712329/this-is-one-of-the-main-reasons-i-cook-and-do-my

For less than the price of the McDonald's meal for four in the above graphic, I've made authentic Coq au Vin with steamed broccoli and brown rice that would feed six people and has much less salt, with money left over for dessert.  That was a rare treat to even spend that much, so you can understand me not ever wanting to get fast food.

It is a complete lie that healthy food is too expensive. 

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting point that one can make a very excellent dinner for a family of 4 (or more) for well less than $30. I wonder what impact that the prospect of the time, effort, knowledge, and skill involved in making an excellent dinner has on the decision-making process. I know I've found myself leaning toward take-out ($5-8/person) when there are perfectly good leftovers and/or raw ingredients in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete