2010-01-13

The Staff of Life

I've been asked for my bread recipe.  My approach is very minimalist, and I am sorry to say that the quality of the bread I make is not very high.  I welcome your favorite bread recipes for the oven.  I do not have a bread machine.

I got my recipe here: Fresh Baked Bread in Five Minutes.  I use a fraction of the recipe because of the size of my bowls.  I usually use:
2 cups whole wheat flour, ~$0.33 @ $3/5lbs
2 cups all-purpose or bread flour, ~$0.33 @ $3/5lbs
2 cups water
1 tbsp yeast, $0.67 @ $8/jar
1/2 tbsp salt

That's it.  I mix the flour and salt together in a big bowl.  I heat the water in a small bowl to 100 degrees F, then add the yeast and wait a few minutes.  Then I stir the yeast and water into the flour with a big wooden spoon until evenly mixed, but I do not knead the dough.  Let it rise a couple hours and do whatever you want with it.  I usually put the bowl (loosely covered) in the oven, set the dial to "warm" for a couple minutes, then turn it off.

This stuff makes great pizzas.  I'll post about pizzas later.  One batch is good for three pizzas at $0.45 each.  It makes two medium loaves of bread at $0.67 each.  I spray a little oil on the dough before baking bread to help the crust, and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  The bread tends to be dense and dry compared to store bread.  It makes a really good PB&J, but it is not very good by itself.

Could it use oil?  Sugar?  What makes a light, soft, tasty bread at low cost without filling it with junk?

No comments:

Post a Comment